"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sept. 21, 2009 Jam


This Monday, October 5th, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub (SW corner of 2nd and 29th), the Bluegrass And Beyond Jam once again seeks to turn Paddy's Irish green to blue - at least for one more night - and you're invited.



Owner Steve always tells me: "Dave, if God had wanted bluegrass music in Ireland, there would've been a County Kentucky... where they'd serve Guinness juleps at Dublin Downs each spring while the Chieftains played "Run, O Molly run, Run, O Molly run; Tenbrooks gonna beat you to the bright shinin' sun!""


But he lets us play all night anyway... 



Last time we had a little international flavor, when Luca (the Italian half of "The Dang-it Bobbys") and his band mate Kris entertained us with quite a version of "Katie Dear" - Louvin Brothers style. Did I mention that Kris played it in F major on the banjo without a capo? What's the world coming to? 


Too much music school, I think... Kris later re-surfaced at the apres-jam with Mike, doing a beautiful double banjo version of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown". 


Evy, besides doing a uke version of Hank's "Mind Your Own Business", brought Hillary (and her husband) from England - who belted out a wailing "Jesus On The Mainline" to the delight of the bar crowd.



Finally, the global part of the evening ended, when Norris finger-picked Canadian Ann Murray's "Snowbird" (all right, I'm stretching the world thing just a little).


Karen brought in some new stuff with "Handsome Molly", and Bob always brings it - this time with a rollicking "Bye, Bye, Love". 


By the way, my absent wife, Sarah, asked me if Bill and I had found a good-looking singer to replace her on stage between us and I told her: "Sure... Bob!" She had no further comment...


Lynn's version of the John Hurt / Kweskin Jug Band classic "Richland Woman Blues" brought back some good memories.



Chris was back in my good graces by finally getting back to Wayne "The Train" Hancock - "Thunderstorms And Neon Signs". 


His buddy Mark got so excited, he gave us a rare treat - doing a song, and a great one at that! "Six Days On The Road" - "My rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow..." - that could be my motto - thanks Mark!


Co-host Bill was in a spiritual mood - giving us Ralph Stanley's classic "I cannot sing like like an angel, and I cannot preach like Paul; but, for B + B on Mondays - I'll try to answer the call." (Dr. Ralph may not have sang it exactly that way...).


Rob was "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" as well, and I felt like a mathematics professor trying to explain a rather difficult equation during my Beatles song. 


All right, class... the answer was: 9-1-0!


See you Monday,


3 comments:

BanjoWarren said...

Dave:

I have to respectfully disagree with the 9-1-0 answer after examining the lyrics on my lyric-o-meter machine. There can only be 3 possible outcomes and non of them are 9-1-0.

1. Least likely - She dumped him. that bird had flown.

2. Likely - This relationship was going nowhere, she tried to break it off gently, that didn't work, more drastic measures were called for, plus the phone connection was garbled. She didn't say I'm travelling on the one ater 9:09. She said It's over it's done I'm traveling on, if you want to see me take a number, you'll be the one after 909.

3. Most likely - She was on the train (9:38 actually) but she had a terrible headache, she struck up a conversation with a friendly chap named Roman, who offered her something for her headache. The details are murky, but there was quite a mess in the baggage compartment, and somehow the Swiss Authorities have gotten involved.

Dave Comins (blogger) said...

? ? ?

Did I really just publish that comment?

At least one member of the class was listening - a little too hard, I think...

BanjoWarren said...

OK, now you got me feeling a little sheepish, if you can change the third one to:

3. Most Likely - She was on the train (9:38 actually) and feeling very lonely she struck up a conversation with the young man sitting next to her. He was an ambitious chap who claimed that he was going to be the Governor of South Carolina. She found her soul mate at last! They took off to hike the Appalachian Trail, but strangely enough, ended up in Argentina.