"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Apr. 20, 2009 - The "Deluge" Jam


Hello again,


We're ready to go this coming Monday, May 4th, Paddy Reilly's Pub (SW corner of 2nd and 29th), 7:30 - 11:00 or so.



Wow, last jam was so wet that I was checking for life vests under my seat. 


I remember walking in through 2" of flooding on 2nd Ave., my gig bag feeling like a sponge and seeing three buckets in the back room catching water from roof leaks. Bill, Sarah and I looked each other and said: "Trio Jam".


The turnout was surprisingly high considering...


California was there, of course, after mudslides and earthquakes, what's a little sprinkle or two? He even brought his wife.


Andrew entered looking like Indiana Jones just back from some exotic (wet) locale.


The "E For Effort Award" has to go to Karen though, showing up ready to go from upstate - baby-sitters, trains and flooded subways be damned.


It was the first time that I've seen more umbrellas than instrument cases in the back room - which was probably good considering the leaks.



The music was good - highlights for me:



The mini reggae set that Scott, Warren and Andrew did.



Scotty's version of "Moondance" which everybody really took off on. By the way, I don't like to blow our own horns (did I mention my "Last Train To Clarksville"? beep, beep) but did you hear my wife's harp solo on that song? That's how Van The Man would play it!


I really love Andrew's slow, soulful songs like "Across The Blue Ridge Mountains" and "Redemption Song". It's like hearing Frank "Old Blues Eyes" Sinatra doing roots music.



Bill seemed pleased with his "Love The One You're With" - which is good, considering he spend the better part of a week practicing the ending "Da-da-da"s. Myself, I always get that song confused with the "Sportcenter" theme on ESPN. (Bill won't recognize this reference because he thinks sports are something you wear in summer with sandals...)



Most appropriate song goes to Sarah for "Take Me To The River" - I kept pointing her towards the dripping back room. We could have held a Baptism there during the worst parts of the storm.



Oh, and of course, the instrumental highlight of the evening. It's hard to take it away from Scottie, but this week Mike succeeded with his uncapoed up the neck break in E on Karen's "Rider" song. Congratulations, your gold plated G-string will be mailed to you shortly.



And, last but not least, get a life people... I can't believe that we knew all 3 verses to the "Beverly Hillbillies" theme song. Luckily, it took 7 of us to come with all the words. I'm cutting out cable TV, effective immediately.

No comments: