"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mar. 16, 2009 - The "Sax" Jam

Hi folks,


Before I begin, let me say just one thing, WHEW! I don't know what hit us last time, but I'm still reelin' and rockin'. 


What's better than sex... (uuuhmm...nothing...) SAX!  A veritable saxophone tsunami... I know it was the day before St. Paddy's, but did you hear that solo on "Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms"? That guy was cookin'... yeah, Chuck (and his friend Lee wasn't bad either). Next week, "Bird's Breakdown", Hawkin's Hornpipe, Rollin's Reel... who knows?


The crowd was raucous, the dancing was great, and our favorite dynamic duo behind the bar - Rayleen and Eileen - handled it all in style. (Eat your heart out, Barry...)



Anyway, it's seems almost a let down but the next 2 Mondays in a row are Bluegrass + Beyond jams, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's (2nd Ave. + 29th). It's like March Monday Madness, but ours goes into April as well (and you don't even have to dribble a basketball or fill in a bracket to enjoy).


Things were so hot I didn't even notice Scottie's disco version of the Doobie Brothers "Long Train Runnin'" until it was almost over, when, unfortunately, he called a Dobro break. As usual, I was overwhelmed by the challenge, and responded accordingly (I won't be playing in any Doobie tribute bands soon...)



And how about Norris from the Ebony Hillbillies on dulcimer? His first appearance, and hopefully, not his last. Dulcimer and sax, what a combo...


I was praying that my friend Mick, who attended his first B + B as an observer (and Guiness enthusiast), had forgotten to bring his Hot Diggery Doo - it would have been to much - even for B + B. Although he swears "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" is best enjoyed with Aboriginal accompaniment (see "too much Guiness" above).



As far as this week is concerned, we're about to be blown away by the future guitarist of the U.S. Navy Bluegrass Band - hired for two months hence - Joseph. Listen while you can, this band's played at Grey Fox and was led by banjo great Bill Emerson for 25 years. I'm puttin' on my Navy Blues, as Woody used to sing...



Also, I just found out that California (Ray) hasn't been getting the jam e-mails, so all those things I've said about him went for naught. I'm really going to lay into him this week! The trouble is - I can't think of anything bad to say about him. Damn...



See you Monday, (by the way, I've got Banjo Bill, Mike, Liz and Gary in my Bluegrass + Beyond Final Four... with Bill's "Kentucky Mandolin" beating out Mike's "Huckling The Berries" in an overtime thriller. Liz takes out Gary in the consolation game, with a dynamite version of "The Old Home Place", although Gary's Dave Van Ronk finger-picking classic " Green, Green Rocky Road" caused dissension among the judges. Gail gets tournament MVP for her enthusiasm jam in and jam out... not to mention "Old Flames"; A.J. gets the "Clutch Performer" award for his timely, self-penned "Bailout Blues".


I didn't receive an invite this year... I'll practice for next year, or take up Dodge Ball. 

No comments: