"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

May 4, 2009 Jam

Hi folks:


It's time again for the Bluegrass + Beyond jam this Monday, May 18th, 7:30 on @ Paddy Reilly's Pub (SW corner of 29th and 2nd).


I'm writing this from the 19th hole at a golf course in sunny South Carolina, before jumping into the pond to retrieve my clubs where I threw them after my latest round to join my ball... I must tell you that jamming is infinitely more enjoyable than golfing! Although, neither are ever sub-par, at least for me.



It seems that weather is not an issue with B + Bers, however. Once again, the rain proved to be no obstacle to a large attendance of really talented people.


Bill and I afterwards re-visited the discussion of where this one ranked among the best previous ones.


The musical highlights were so many that I don't want to miss any by listing my favs, so suffice it to say that it's really cool that people are bringing in constantly new, unusual and, most importantly, fun material. 


If it takes a little bit to pick some of it up, or, if everyone can't play on every single song - I say, that's okay - it means we're learning and pushing on. There's a lot of different music out there - a lot of chords and keys we don't use (Scottie excluded).


Plus, it leaves a little time for singing, drinking and socializing. For instance, I found out from Eileen at the bar about a "Black Velvet" (Guiness and cider) - which given my current worries about drinking Corona and contracting swine flu (not to mention, the ever present danger of "Lime" disease) - seems worth a try. I'm also learning no new pig songs... but that's another story.



I remember my first Bill Monroe album which I picked up in high school called "Bill Monroe Sings Country Songs". I thought that bluegrass was really great - electric guitars and country songs! Then, in college at Syracuse, I'd listen to Tony Trischka and Pete Wernick's groups with saxs and electric banjos and guitars, and I thought, wow, bluegrass is REALLY great. 


I subsequently realized that almost everyone in traditional bluegrass draws from other music constantly - The Earl Scruggs' Revue, J.D. Crowe, The Country Gentlemen, The Seldom Scene, Tony Rice, The New Grass Revival, on through to Alison Krause and Chris Thiele. All the while respecting and understanding the earlier, "purer" roots.



Speaking of roots, don't be afraid to do bluegrass, although it may seem incongruous sandwiched between "Let It Bleed" and "Sweet Home Alabama" - do what you want to do. Bill and I originally intended a 50 / 50 mix of bluegrass / country / fiddle tunes and rock / pop as an ideal mix. Myself, I think the mix is working: "Bluegrass Rules, but Roots Should Rock!"



"Fore!" (splash) "Damn...", That's it, I'm coming back home!

No comments: