"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pop! Bluegrass And Beyond Turns One!

 Oops... 


Did I not notice the passing, on Sept. 24th, of our one-year anniversary?


Thanks, first and foremost, go to Paddy's Pub owner Steve, and to his bar-tending crew - Eileen, Rayleen (hey, we all need someone we can "leen" on) and Neil (een?) - as well as our departed co-founding father - Barry (a great bar-tender, and even better judge of character, except for this one tiny mistake).


Thanks to my co-host, Bill Giles, who gamely puts up with these posts - all the while keeping chaos at bay during each jam - effortlessly distributing the song-leading responsibilities in an organized fashion. 


He hasn't missed a week yet - you'll see what a great job he really does when I have to run it without him!


Thanks also to our unofficial hosts, my wife Sarah, AJ, Gail, Mike and Jon - who we rely on each week to help keep things rolling smoothly.


Thanks to California, Bob, Warren, Chris - those who I tend to pick on each newsletter (hopefully in good fun). Oh my God, I almost forgot Scottie! It's like shooting ducks in a bath tub... it's too easy guys!


I probably shouldn't remind you of this, but there is a comment section in the blog...


Finally, thanks to everyone who comes and brings songs - from both bluegrass - and beyond. You've all made it a memorable year! 


Bill and I would get pretty lonely up here by ourselves - and we see way too much of each other anyway - have for 20+ years...

3 comments:

BanjoWarren said...

Dave and Bill:

You guys deserve a huge hand for making it all happen, a year ago I had no idea that there were bluegrass jams in the City. I was playing keyboards (or attempting to) at the time and had to put it in the shop for repair. In the meantime I dusted off my banjo for my annual banjo refresher.

A funny thing happened I got hooked on banjo all over again, however without the support from you guys (and the slo jam of course) I would have gone back to keyboards long ago.

It's incredible what a huge part of life this Bluegrass thing has turned out to be. I can't thank you enough.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Warren

Dave Comins (blogger) said...

Hmm...

Keyboard player?

No wonder every second fret on your banjo is painted white.

Bill said...

Glad you're enjoying it Warren! Its been a pleasure (except when the alarm goes off on the first, third, and fifth Tuesdays of each month....)