"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jan. 19, 2009 Jam

Hi everyone,



As the dark recesses of January give way to the dismal despair of February, luckily there still remains one ray of hope, one joyous beacon of light to guide us toward spring and summer...


Of course I'm referring to this coming Monday's Bluegrass + Beyond jam, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub (SW corner of 2nd and 29th.


AJ stoled the show last time with his timely Inauguration Eve goodbye to George Jr. - "Sympathy For The Devil", not to mention "Summertime Blues" and a couple of requested Neil Young classics for the audience. How does he remember all those words? I have to write my name on my wrist each week so I know when I'm being called on for a break...


My partner, in life and music, Sarah, also gave a nod to Martin Luther King, Jr.  and Barack Obama by doing "You Don't Have To Move That Mountain".



Now on a serious note, I have to warn you that my co-host, Bill is in a fiddle tune kind of mood these days, so expect a few of those this week - maybe even bring a few along. If Brett comes, he and I can take a break at the bar and discuss how much we love fiddle tunes (especially if we're drinking Guiness while someone else is playing them).



Oh, and Liz, you don't REALLY have to bring home-baked cookies every week - I was only kidding!



I might be missing a jam in February - I've applied to be Scottie's guitar bearer and margarita holder at his next professional gig in Cancun. I might have failed my audition though, not realizing that you're not supposed to drink 'em while holding 'em for him!  Oh well, there's always the next gig - a ski party in Aspen? a wedding on the Riviera? Ah, the life of a hanger-on...


See you Monday the 2nd (with a fiddle tune in hand undoubtedly... and Zeppelin in the other), or we could do Page's "Bron Yr Aur Stomp" which includes a quote from "Black Mountain Rag" - thus killing two birds with one stone.

No comments: