"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

July 20, 2009 Jam

Folks:


It's time once again to test your junk mail and spam filters (thanks, Rob). This Monday, August 3rd, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub (SW corner of 2nd and 29th) - Bluegrass and Beyond.


Last jam marked the end of the "California" era at B + B. 


Of course, even though we ostensibly had his going away party with Warren Peace doing Chuck Berry's "Promised Land" and someone else's brilliant version of "California Girls" on banjo - we all know that the REAL party is this week, now that he's truly gone!  (Wait a minute, did I forget to delete him from the mailing list? Yipes...)


Speaking of farewells, it was also Colleen's first visit from St. Louis in two years. Personally, I can't get enough of the hammered dulcimer sound on "Love The One Your With" or "I've Just Seen A Face". Later in the week at another jam, I heard her doing "Sympathy For The Devil" with AJ. Wow!


And if it's milestones you want, there was a rare (it fact, first-time) appearance from Don of "Bluegrass Harmony Workshop" fame, but we just know him as "Dandy Don", and a kick-ass flat-picker / song leader. 


We also were lucky to be joined by newbie Jon (no nickname yet), another fine guitar picker and song leader - I don't know where they all come from, but we're lucky to get 'em at B + B.



On a personal note, Sarah pointed out to me that the B + B Dobro torch was officially passed on to my prodigy, Chris -  when Scottie asked him to take over the lead-in originally called for me on "Peaceful Easy Feeling". I now know my place, I'll walk 3 steps behind and 1 to the right whenever Chris is in the room.


Between Chris, Mike on banjo and all the great guitar pickers, I've got nothing left to do except write these e-mails. I'm thinking of taking hammered dulcimer lessons from Colleen or bar tending lessons from Eileen.


Bluegrass And Beyond was well represented at Grey Fox this year - with a compound that grew as the weekend went on - including Sarah, AJ, Mike, California, Jon, Phil, Andrew and I, with cameos by Warren, "Slow Jam" Sue, Rob and Colleen. 


Highlights included California attempting to sabotage Mike's "Cherokee Shuffle" three successive times by playing "Bill Cheathem" instead in the middle (I thought he was just being avant guard, but I now know better - his new nickname is "Cherokee"), AJ's hangdog look sitting alone in the rain, hat pulled down, in the mud puddles that used to be our jamming area, drinking a beer during Friday night's Woodstock-like deluge and Andrew's fashionable handling of the rain wear dilemma - he should be the cover model for the new "Grey Fox" line of camping wear and fashion accessories.


See you soon, 

No comments: