"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Aug. 17, 2009 - The "Sauna" Jam


Bluegrass And Beyond Beats The Heat And Rides Again:


Yes, you've had two full weeks to recover from the broken air-conditioning and resulting sauna that we called B + B last time, so let's do it again!



This Monday, the 31th at Paddy Reilly's Pub (2nd and 29th), 7:30pm.



The heat even got to co-host Bill (who I know never reads these mailings for fear of what might be included within), and I quote: 


"Even with 5 hours in the heat, I think last night was great. If you wish Dave, you can announce in the newsletter that I thought the jam in the heat was so good that I've requested Paddy's to always turn off the air conditioning for B&B jams."


Bill and I had our regular practice last week in the Russian baths downtown to prep - just in case...



While I'm on the subject, kudos to Banjo Bill for reviving Frank Wakefield's "New Camptown Races" - a 60's favorite, composed in the jam-friendly key of Bb.



Speaking of the 60's, Sarah's "Play With Fire" and "Hey Joe" (with Brett and Bill's riffing), were only narrowly topped by Jerry Reed's "Eastbound And Down" - get your ears on, Bandit!



Chris returned again, sporting a fancy new guitar, but no Wayne Hancock; and Liz reappeared from the North Carolina mountains again, playing mandolin! Her and co-host Bill worked up "Arab Shuffle" during lunch breaks. Apparently, Arab is some town in N.C. - who knew?



Rob played a really nice bluesy number (didn't catch the name) with great changes, and pitched in on "Where The Soul Of Man Never Dies" with Gail, Sue and several others.



Warren's investigating Townes Van Zandt - doing "If I Needed You".



Brett pulled out "Squeezebox" from the Who - stumping me at first - and if I have to listen to Mike saying "This is from your generation, dude" one more time, I might slap a minimum age requirement on the jam so I don't feel like a walking antiquity.



As always, remember to let me know if you want off this list, no questions asked, or feel free to give interested parties the e-mail address below to be included in future mailings.


See you Monday, bathing suits optional... (although I understand the A/C is fixed again).




No comments: