"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dec. 7, 2009 - The "Rod McKuen" Jam

Ho - Ho - Ho, Kiddies (and I'm not talking garden implements):



This very Monday, December 21st, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub (SW corner of 2nd and 29th), Santa and his Elves - or, at least, Bill, AJ, Dave and Elvis - will be hosting the 2nd holiday gathering of Bluegrass & Beyond.


Last year's jam was made especially festive by the holiday culinary and musical contributions of many people and I hope this year people will feel the same way about adding to the general merriment. I know I fondly remember the Hershey's Holiday Kisses (love those red and green foil wraps) and the cookies - all of them.




I'll bring some songbooks, tacky holiday lights and the words to my soon to be (in another lifetime) Christmas classic "Day-O, The (Banana Boat) Carol" - yes, and maybe, some Kisses as well. 


Oh, as Elvis sang: "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" (instead of the day after...)




Speaking of songs that may actually become holiday classics, co-host AJ sang his original "Christmas Time" at the finals of the Paddy's "Songwriter Idol" contest - where he competed with Jonathan against 18 others. Neither placed in the final 5, but the competition was extremely stiff, and, I know that they both appreciated the turnout from both the Bluegrass & Beyond and Sue's Slow Jam. 


The general consensus was that AJ didn't win because he had a certain resonator guitarist playing with him - and that Jonathan fell short because he didn't. Boy, this music business is a tough one - you can't win!


Well, last time Scotty turned in a great version of Bob Marley's "High Tide Or Low Tide" (I'm gonna be your friend...).


It was still high tide when Chris starting handing out song sheets to everyone. I, for one,  was thinking, Wow, a new Texas honky tonker or an obscure Jerry Reed number. Then, the tide turned and started heading out when he announced that it was in C#m - soon to become a full-on rip tide when I saw "by Rod McKuen" on the top of the page.


"Love's Been Good To Me" - All right, I know that Johnny Cash and Frank Sinatra recorded it, which makes it kinda cool - but, I was still thinking Hallmark cards from the 70's. 


"Still in all, I'm happy, The reason is, you see; Once in a while along the way, I've jammed at B & B..."


Right, and next, Bob Dylan will do a Christmas album!


The ironic part of all this was that Chris later on gave me a ride home - where I proceeded to watch the end of one of those kitschy Hallmark Channel Christmas movies, which I never tire of - much to my wife Sarah's ongoing consternation.


During the 'Michael Daves' Pre-Jam Warm-Up" part of the evening, Tony pulled out a great Carl Perkin's tune "Boppin' The Blues" (proving, yet again, that underneath that tough Bluegrass exterior, he's really got an heart that's Beyond - or, at least, ampersand).


Leslie did a great version of "Going' Down That Lonesome Road", and then left right before the mini-Texas set we did featuring songs by Lyle Lovett, Nanci Griffith, Michelle Shocked, Eric Taylor, B.W. Stevenson and Jerry Jeff Walker. Wait, that's just too much of a coincidence! (Only kidding, Les - although it would be fun...)


Karen, during the "I Hope My  Family Doesn't Notice That I'm Gone" phase of the evening, came in with yet more new material - "Little Birdie". I bet co-host Bill would've enjoyed claw-hammering on that one.


Lynn, with co-host AJ's assistance, tried Little Feat's "Willing" - and we all proved that we were collectively able as well.


Chris and Mike helped me out with John Prine's "Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness" - from MY folky days (take that Bob, Leslie and Jon...). 


And thinking of Mike, as an example of how your values can get distorted during the holidays - he gave up most of B & B this week to see the Knicks play. I mean, a Tony Trischka concert, okay, but the Knicks? (In his defense, he did have friends visiting from out of town... but the Knicks?)


I think I may skip a jam sometime and watch dust bunnies form under my coffee table. Maybe I'll invite Mike over... 


Of course, I'll have to fit it into my busy schedule - Chris and I are getting together soon for our annual "Rod McKuen Poetry Night" - which is followed by our "Hallmark Holiday Movie Marathon" - you bring the hankies, big guy and I'll dig out my old dog-eared "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" - we'll throw on some "MacArthur Park" and make a night of it!  A veritable sensitive "guys night out" - while our wives maybe grab a six-pack and take in a Giant's game?


Hope to see everyone at the next jam (unless the Nets are playing, of course), and bring something to sing or eat with others - let's spread some good cheer...






1 comment:

Bill said...

Hard to believe its time for another B&B holiday jam. Last year's holiday jam will be a tough act to follow...Highlights for me were leading the traditional holiday song Jumpin' Jack Flash, and of course co-host AJ's original "Christmas Song" and co-host Dave's "Banana Boat Carol." (Actually the real highlight was getting to play the guitar riff on Free's "Allright Now" to accompany Laura's vocals...Hint to Laura- Try to make the holiday jam..Let's make "Allright Now" a B&B holiday tradition, along the lines of the Channel 11 Yule Log and holiday fruitcakes!!)

I was sorry to see that the one B&B jam I miss included Karen doing "Little Birdie". Ralph Stanley's "Little Birdie"??? Karen-- I know you like to keep coming up with fresh material, but I have a special request- would you repeat Little Birdie in the near future? That could be my clawhammer banjo exercise for the night.

I'm going to be there early this week, mainly schmoozimg early on while AJ handles the co-hosting duties, and then I'll be getting serious with the co-hosting duties myself later in the evening. Should be a good time!

Banjo Bill