"49% Pop/Rock, 49% Bluegrass/Country, 2% Folk (and other inert elements)"

Bluegrass & Beyond NYC Blog

Bluegrass & Beyond acoustic jam (since 2008) - held the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (odd) Mondays of each month, 7:30 at Paddy Reilly's Pub, 519 2nd Ave., N.Y., N.Y. 10016. Hosted by Dave Comins.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Sept. 20, 2010 Jam


Happy Fall to you all:

Well, Paddy's was filled on Monday night - I didn't know that so many Saints and 49er fans liked Bluegrass & Beyond. We tried to time our songs to the game, so that we could imagine that the cheers were for us. The boos? They were for the game...

There were two older Irishmen who stayed the night - seemingly voluntarily (or at least I don't remember bribing them) - and actually seemed interested in the music. Turned out they they were old session and football buddies of Paddy's owner Steve - from the old home town back in Ireland.

They were pretty effusive in their praise of our music - except that one of them told me that I was holding my guitar wrong - he'd never seen a dobro. I told him that if I play it flat like that, I can get drunk, fall over backwards and I'll be holding straight up like everyone else. It just takes me a little longer!

Steve rolled his eyes and pretended that I wasn't there any more...

Right from the get go, I knew it would be a good one. We started with Sarah's "No Expectations" and followed it with my "The Cuckoo" - before bluegrass and beyond bluegrass - that's what I'm talking about. Bob, however, looked more than a little skeptical during my extended yodelling (some might call howling) on the latter (I was channeling my inner Hobart Smith).

When he played, Bob stuck to bluegrass, perhaps previewing his upcoming Thursday night (Sept. 23) Paddy's show as a member of "The Linemen".

Judy played up to the large crowd all night, starting with a quiet Joan Baez ballad and ending the evening with a mellow Judy Collins song (at Tony's request - or "The Maestro" as she calls him - I prefer other names). But, somewhere in the middle, she wailed on "T for Texas" and the Jimmy Reed number "You Got Me Runnin'".

This number set off an extended ripping, all hands on deck, jam pleasin', crowd participating set .

I tried to follow Judy (who can?) with Elvis' "That's All Right, Mama", and co-host Bill pulled out the number of the night with Canned Heat's "Goin' Up The Country", morphing into "Roll Over Beethoven" and then "Blue Suede Shoes" - all this for the price of one ticket! Even Judy was impressed, and the crowd loved it - although there was a 49er field goal at that precise moment...

Co-host AJ calmed everyone down with Dylan's "She Belongs To Me" - while I got my oxygen mask out, and took a few deep breaths.

Lynn kept the mellow vibe going with Emmylou's "Precious Memories".

Mr. T, or, should say, The Maestro, after Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone" - led a long jam on "Ragtime Annie" - conveniently forgetting to tell me that it was my break until it was nearly over. Tony said that it was one of the best breaks he's ever heard me play - I can't believe I later bought him a whiskey.

Besides Bob holding up the bluegrass end of things, Craig, co-host Bill, and Jon all gave us classics from Jimmy Martin, Reno and Smiley and Flatt and Scuggs.

Kim returned from Western Canada with a lot of music stories and a new song (for him). I think that he was the only person in the bar who didn't know "Mountain Dew" - he spend most of his own song laughing at how badly it was coming out. Fortunately, Sarah graciously helped him through it - along with half the crowd. He'll be back - and with his "A" game! See what Canada does to you? Even Neil or Joni would struggle with "Mountain Dew", eh?

Sarah led a nice "Congratulations" from The Wilburys, and "Dirty Old Town" as the last song of the main jam.

As usual, the after jam was just beginning - or, as "Banjo" Mike pointed out in a comment last week - after midnight, we let it all hang out...! (And it was Steve who spilled the Guinness apparently...)

Great jam, all (even you, Tony),


Dave Comins
www.bluegrassandbeyondnyc.com
Facebook / Bluegrass & Beyond NYC



No comments: